Tuesday, August 2

Tissues of Rainbow and Moonshine

Hello, my dears.  I'm very aware that I haven't had anything to share with you from F. Scott Fitzgerald recently, and this is because I haven't managed to read anything in the last little while.  If you read my post yesterday, however, you will have heard how a workshop in drama prompted me to rediscover how much I adore Anne of Green Gables, and I thought it would be lovely to share with you a passage that I have always loved from it.

In all essential respects the little gable chamber was unchanged.  The walls were as white, the pincshion as hard, the chairs as stiffly and yellowly upright as ever.  Yet the whole character of the room was altered.  It was full of a new vital, pulsing personality that seemed to pervade it and to be quite independent of schoolgirl books and dresses and ribbons, and even of the cracked blue jub full of apple blossoms on the table.  It was as if all the dreams, sleeping and waking, of its vivid occupant had taken a visible although immaterial form and had tapestried the bare room with splendid filmy tissues of rainbow and moonshine. 

A Good Imagination Gone Wrong, Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery, published in 1925.

It's beautiful, isn't it?  It's incredibly simple but very sincere, and very vibrant, quite like the room that it so gorgeously describes.  L. M. Montgomery is to me very much like Anne herself, weaving wonderful thoughts together to delight us with at every corner.  Isn't it so very feminine and magical?

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I miss Anne of the Green Gables terribly! I must go back and read it as well. Thank you, Book Florist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her to death! I have been trying so hard to find a copy of Anne of Avonlea in the same edition so I can read on, but everything I can find is hideously abridged! Oh the horror! Have you read anything else by L. M. Montgomery? I would love to!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!