Sunday, April 10

To Shout Filthy Words!

Your worst enemy, he reflected, was your own nervous system.  At any moment the tension inside you was liable to translate itself into some visible symptom...  He had written it down at last, but it made no difference.  The therapy had not worked.  The urge to shout filthy words at the top of his voice was as strong as ever.

Part 1, Chapter 6, 1984, (published 1949).

Does anybody else feel the need to shout?  Maybe it's shouting for shouting's sake, but I could certainly do some shouting.  !@#$$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!  I don't even know what it was for. 

2 comments:

  1. I checked out the excerpts from Virginia Woolf, I love them! The long sentences remind me of Dickens, who I adore. However I have found myself beginning to write like that, which does not give me bonus points during essays for class!!
    The Count of Monte Cristo was great!! Just a really good adventure story. However, while he is a great writer and all, after reading the Three Musketeers I realised just how disgustingly sexist he is..it comes out a little bit in the Count of Monte Cristo, but not enough to ruin a good story.
    the Picture of Dorian Gray is one of the best books I have ever read. It is just perfect! I definitely recommend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. OK, well Yeah, I adore Woolf's writing style - and Dickens has a beautiful style too, hey? Have you read 'Hard Times'? That is such a brilliant story, and the first page is so well written that I was won, hook, line and sinker, before I was finished the first paragraph! Now THAT is SKILL! It's a great one. Just read the first paragraph and see if you aren't totally won over!

    Ps. Would you recommend one of those two books as a Book to Read Before You Die? or any other book even?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!