Friday, April 15

Home Sweet Home

Now that they had a secure hiding-place, almost a home, it did not even seem a hardship that they could only meet infrequently and for a couple of hours at a time.  What mattered was that the room over the junk-shop should exist.  To know that it was there, inviolate, was almost the same as being in it.  The room was a world, a pocket of the past where extinct animals could walk. 

Part 2, Chapter 5, 1984, (published 1949).

Don't you feel the truth of this excerpt?  Ha, well perhaps we're not living in a corrupt and terrible society, but I still know that I feel this way about my home, and my room particularly.  I can do anything during the day, but there are some things, I know, that would be too much if I could not eventually escape to my home and burrow my way into familiarity again.  The comfort of its existence makes the rest of life bearable.  Perhaps home sweet home is too cliched to ever mention, but that's just what it is.  And I adore that final line 'the room was a world, a pocket of the past where extinct animals could walk' .  Doesn't it just fill your head with pictures?  My room is absolutely a little world, and I love that it can be, so much.

2 comments:

  1. I actually feel this way about my best friendships and indeed about a relationship which ended and tore me apart.

    It is so unbelievably comforting to have a secure bond with someone. In my case, that comfort soon becomes like a "real" place. When those frienships break (because some rarely but unfortunately do), I get struck down with an overwhelming sense of homesickness: a desire to be back in the safety of that world.

    *sigh* I need to get back to creating jollity and stop my wallowing!!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!