Tuesday, July 26

Sappy Love Stories

The day seemed different to Rosemary than the day before.  When she saw him face to face their eyes met and brushed like birds' wings.  After that everything was all right, everything was wonderful, she knew that he was beginning to fall in love with her.  She felt wildly happy, felt the warm sap of emotion being pumped through her body.  A cool, clear confidence deepened and sang in her.  She scarcely looked at Dick but she knew everything was all right.

Chapter XVI, Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald, published 1934.

I love the image of emotion being a warm sap pumping through Rosemary's body.  You get that idea of something thick and hot and sticky, honey-like.  Something raw and unprocessed, straight from earth.  I think that it is so completely true.  Isn't emotion just raw and unprocessed in general?  Yes, it is, isn't it?  I love that Fitzgerald said this. 


2 comments:

  1. That is so very beautiful :) He is always absolutely perfect at describing emotion! Also I love that your mum leaves you little notes with words on them, that is such a wonderful idea! And it's so good that you're getting back into writing :) My passion is writing too, but also writing songs as well I think. I don't know, there's just something about piano that keeps me hooked, even though it drives me crazy most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Book Florist! :) Love the blog name! Found you thru Nitisha, actually. And I've read The Great Gatsby so I know how vivid Fitzgerald's writing can get, but I haven't read Tender is the Night, and now it's next on my list. :)

    And I follow now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!