Sunday, September 9

Personify your Potty

On my weekly trip to the library, I grabbed a book by Natalie Goldberg called Writing Down the Bones.  Ms Goldberg is a writing teacher, and the book is basically a whole lot of little lessons in writing.  She quotes the poem of Russell Edson in her chapter, Nervously Sipping Wine.  It was so quirky and lovely that I thought you would enjoy it:

With Sincerest Regrets
Like a white snail the toilet slides into the living room, demanding to be loved.
It is impossible, and we tender our sincerest regrets.  In the book of the heart there is no mention made of plumbing.
And though we have spent our intimacy many times with you, you belong to an unfortunate reference, which we would rather not embrace...
The toilet slides out of the living room like a white snail, flushing with grief...

The personification and imagery of this is so captivating.  I just enjoyed the place of... I suppose enlightenment that this took me.  I love how personification gives you an expanded consciousness to things that you were not previously aware of.  

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!