Friday, February 24

Nicely Folded Thoughts

I was thinking of Peter Pan yesterday, and I thought what a lovely thing it would be to share with you my favourite passage from it.  I have made every member of my family succumb to my reading of this.  I am adamant that it is absolutely wonderful.  I hope that you enjoy it. 
Mrs. Darling first heard of Peter when she was tidying up her children's minds. It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning, repacking into their proper places the many articles that have wandered during the day. If you could keep awake (but of course you can't) you would see your own mother doing this, and you would find it very interesting to watch her. It is quite like tidying up drawers. You would see her on her knees, I expect, lingering humorously over some of your contents, wondering where on earth you had picked this thing up, making discoveries sweet and not so sweet, pressing this to her cheek as if it were as nice as a kitten, and hurriedly stowing that out of sight. When you wake in the morning, the naughtiness and evil passions with which you went to bed have been folded up small and placed at the bottom of your mind and on the top, beautifully aired, are spread out your prettier thoughts, ready for you to put on.






2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful metaphor, isn't it? Thank you for this passage, Book Florist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This can be a superb subject to talk regarding. We appreciate you setting up this site. I’m sure there are a lot searching for these kinds of discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to respond to my post or start a new conversation about whatever it is that you're passionate about.

If you don't have a Blogger or Google account, you can always leave an anonymous comment. Thankyou for taking the time!